Crashing waves, oh so shallow

If still waters run deep, then the crashing, dramatic waves near land are but signs of reefs and shallow water. Shallower still, are the gorgeous waterfalls that draw mobs like moths to the moon, speedily and for but a breath.

I find fellow talkative people easiest to engage with because quiet people unnerve me despite an awareness that oftentimes, they may have more careful thoughts and fruitful inner lives. That's half the population I am discounting. Ironically, when it comes to actual water, I have the patience to plan, pay attention to, and gradually build up my breath-modifying skills to explore beneath the waves. The more important, and the human thing seems to be lagging behind. This seems to be my whole life, and it grieves me. In a way, I'm grateful that I took a two-year sabbatical from intensive academic inquiry to pursue the art of nursing because there is nothing as human as working in a hospital. Sickness is the great equaliser, morbid and unorthodox as this observation may seem.

This year, I hope to finish nursing with a stronger appreciation of the nuances of humanism.

Comments

Popular Posts