Gastronomical #4

Let's tie up this instafood series sweetly with frozen desserts! I personally prefer gelato over ice cream but I enjoy both anytime, anywhere.

GELATO MESSINA (SURRY HILLS STORE)
Messina is one of my all time faves and my crew and I try to pay a visit whenever I'm in Surry Hills (the main store in Darlinghurst has a larger variety of options but is harder for me to access).
Their pricing is $3.00 for a tiny, $3.90 for one scoop, $4.90 for two scoops or $6.90 for three scoops. Not pictured below are also some of their famous gelato cakes such as the Dr Evil's Magic Mushroom so be sure to check them out on their website or in store.

The flavour pictured below is one of six weekly limited edition flavours that they update every week so instead, I will review three regular flavours that I've thoroughly enjoyed.

Pistachio
"Made with freshly ground roasted pistachios from Bronte in Italy."
The beauty of this is that unlike many Australian gelato makers, Messina don't settle for making it out of paste. You can see more about it on their website [Link]. For me, being a lover of aromatic flavours that are a little on the plainer side, I literally went nuts over this. This is the one time I eat my pistachios as a sweet rather than a savoury treat.

Pear and Rhubarb
"Fresh pear gelato with our own poached spiced rhubarb."
When you are in the mood for something between indulgent and fruity, this flavour leaves a clean, refreshing palate but is at the same time a stomach-filler. The chunks of rhubarb are jelly-like and slightly sour and the overall gelato is creamy and light.

Dulce De Leche
"An Argentinean caramel made by reducing milk until it becomes a sweet jam."
Being very smooth, sweet and aromatic, it's no wonder this flavour is a big hit. It's very indulgent, sometimes too indulgent in my opinion, so if you pair it with another flavour I would recommend something fruity.

Gelato Messina Surry Hills on Urbanspoon


MÖVENPICK ICE CREAM (MANLY BOUTIQUE)
So now that I've reviewed a gelateria, let's look at ice creams! One thing the Swiss don't stand on neutral ground about is ice cream. The Swiss are brilliant for their ice creams and Mövenpick's are no exception. For a single scoop, it's $5. I can't remember the variations to this pricing for additional scoops so don't hold me to it.

Strawberry
You can't go wrong with the classics and this one had a pleasant twist: I found bits of actual strawberry in it. It had a strong aroma that I can almost compare to jam but it wasn't bad and something that I would go for again.

Stracciatella
This is a panna ice cream with a scattering of chocolate chips. I somehow scraped my tongue on the choc pieces and got a mouth ulcer but I don't think that happens to normal people. Overall, it was creamy and smooth. I found that it tasted like cookies and cream but more chocolatey.





Mövenpick Ice Cream on Urbanspoon

Comments

  1. hey u have reviewed the manly store and I think they have their own urbanspoon badge. You used the QV Melbourne store one. If there isn't one for manly you can just add it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, I just fixed it! And yep, it was the Manly store.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts