Vivid 2016

Last Thursday night, my brother wanted to go out, and I was restless from a full day of exam prep, so my family spontaneously hit up Vivid for an after dinner "stroll". One friend, Cat, enjoyed this year's so much that she'd went four times, so I had pretty high expectations.
Oh will you look at the clock on Customs House? I'm living a little wild and staying out past my granny bedtime of 9:30
As with bygone years, the light projections on Customs House have not failed to impress. One of my favourites was this one with the melting effect.

Walking on that side of Circular Quay, towards The Rocks, I was a little disappointed by how spread out everything was this year and how bare it was over there. I remember it being so lively and interactive back in 2013 with those light up grand pianos and interesting sculptures. But to be fair, this year they opened the Botanical Gardens for the first time, and they have Central Park too, where Aleena, Keshani, and I went for silent disco the week prior. What do you think of the new layout for the Vivid displays and activities?




Of course, we visited the beautiful, but slightly overrated 'Cathedral of Lights' where I let out my inner freak moth. Everyone was cashing in for a photo op so the human traffic congestion inside the sculpture was more insane than the m5 motorway during peak hour.

Other displays in the garden I quite liked included the 'Firetree' and the random lights on the grass. A perk about the Botanical Gardens being open this year was that if you walked up to one of the gates, you had a really nice vantage point of the harbour bridge and Opera House minus the crowds, but my family didn't do that.


I realise this is the second time I've posted up photos of the Opera House this year. I am the biggest tourist (and culture nerd, when I can afford it. And yes, I am in a group chat called "The Cultured Ones", named ironically). But how I truly feel about the Opera House is not too different from how I feel about Maccas. I've made some major memories at Maccas - dnm's in the late p.m. over watery decaf and greasy fries - but also the very ordinary moments like toilet stops and grabbing a frozen coke with classmates in the mid-afternoon. The Opera House toilets are also pretty up to scratch. Just sayin'.

Comments

Popular Posts