Yuletide Euphoria




Dear friends, 

It's almost that time of the year again, Christmas! It will be the first of many years that I am celebrating it at home in Sydney with friends and family so I'm expecting great things, woo!

However, I've been feeling like the festive spirit has been a little "lost". Was it really just because of holiday season marketing? Hide yo kids, hide yo wives and hide yo moneyz guis! (Actually, maybe taking advantage of it and getting a Christmas casual retail job would be a pretty good idea.) Perhaps the late change of weather? Festive food coma from trying too many recipes from this amazing girl [link]? Or was I simply delusional? 

Call it a sentiment for tradition but I don't think my discomfort is completely unfounded. On the Urban Outfitters website, only one festive product alluded to Jesus but it was semi-satirical. So-called cool and unique products include but are not limited to a banner reading MERRY CHRISTMAS B*TCHES. When I went to Town Hall and Christmas decorations were up, there was not a single naivety scene depicting the birth of baby Jesus. At Darling Harbour there were only inflatable Santa Claus displays accompanying a towering plastic tree with HOHOHO written all over. The list goes on, you get the picture..

Don't get me wrong. I do adore the heart warming, cheerful and virtuous St Nicholas character  just as I adore the values of family time, helping the needy, giving gifts, feasting on seasonal delicacies and observing traditions old and new. But how misdirected and silly is it to hold the world's most wonderful party only to forget the original reason for the celebration?

So friends, as we sing our carols, let's put our heart into them and not forget the reason for the season. "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."
~Merry Christmas~


Comments

Popular Posts