Of Shoes and Breakfasts



(1) Once of the healthier breakfasts I make (2) Tony Bianco 'Gotch' from The Iconic 

(Two posts in a day? This blogette must be procrastinating a lot!)


Breakfast

Breakfast is the make it or break it deal of a good day for many people. In the hustle and bustle of city life it's so tempting for many of us to skip brekky (let's face it, it even takes valuable minutes to toast bread and spread jam) and just grab a coffee on the go. And so, through experimentation, I have found it possible to eat brekky every morning regardless of how late I am.

This list are my eat-on-public-transport meals that need zero preparation:
  • Buy a loaf of raisin bread. On the way out in the morning, grab a few slices and a banana or mandarin (any fruit that doesn't need washing and is in season).
  • Yoghurt and a muesli bar or similar. Believe in the hype, Chobani's range of yoghurts are actually quite nice though over-rated. Being on a poor student's budget I usually wait until they are on sale. I like the ones with live culture from Aldi. They have a green and white packaging but I forgot the brand name.
  • Yoghurts that come with cereal and you just tip it in. There's heaps of those around though I don't prefer them since they're a bit pricy.
  • Drink soy milk straight from the bottle then sprint for my dear life and pray to make the last train before a 9am laboratory class. That tends to be the worst option from experience haha..
  • On those sad days when I just give up, I grab a faithful old box of 'Up & Go' and drink every last drop of it, making those sucking sounds with the straw that annoy fellow commuters.
Weekends are fun because I can make whatever I want. Bacon is my love and I get so hyped up frying greasy bacon and eggs and sausages. Then there's always spicy Korean instant noodles and porridge and all sorts of goodies. I'm really picky with pancakes though. I think the bottled shake-it stuff from the supermarkets are horrible because I was brought up eating it made from scratch.

Here's how I've been doing it with a modified recipe since mum got over pancakes:
  • Proportion of ingredients vary but I usually use a ratio of two bananas to one egg. When I get more creative I add berries and serve with yoghurt (you can tell I'm infatuated with that stuff by now).
My brother is in love with cheese so we have an endless supply at home that we're forced to assist in eating in any and every way. So I put it in my wraps (from the above photo):
  • Wholemeal wrap
  • Two tablespoons of cottage cheese (light)
  • Two cherry tomatoes
  • Avocadoes
  • A tiny bit of pepper to season
And that's all, simple. What do other people eat for breakfast? Especially you dislikers of yoghurt and avocado?

Bon appétit!


Shoes

If you can label a female as a particular type of fashion shopper, then I am definitely a shoe person. Shoes hold a dear place in my heart and I'm not afraid to splurge if I genuinely need a new pair. When a person ages, it's usually their legs that go first. Your grandparents might say it - the acing joints on cold winter mornings, the slower walking speed and difficulty in lifting heavy objects. Though our bodies won't last forever, taking care of what we're blessed with is something I value. And of course, the other aspect of footwear that I love is the fashion! 

Although the winter is almost over in the summer hemisphere, let's talk boots! The trends for this winter are knee highs and ankle boots.

For the vertically more um, compressed, person, you might understand the angst of not being able to pull off wearing knee-highs since they don't enhance height although they are the hottest things. I don't own a pair so there's not much to review on it.

Ankle boots are a great alternative, especially the chunky variety with geometric cutouts since they'll still be suitable for wear in the warmer seasons and enhance height without the feet-damage associated with high heels.

Yet, I am attracted to neither trend and am forever loyal to my faithful combat boots. I've worn them for  two years and they've fallen apart now so I've have sworn to not buy another pair for now and try something new. I used to tease my cousin about his Chelsea boots but in reality I found them to be quite attractive and perfect for a lazy girl fed up with shoelaces.

And then came my first online shopping experience and the above pair in the photos were off the website The Iconic. Unfortunately they looked pre-loved (by the soles) and I refunded them, unimpressed. Currently, I am the proud owner of a comfortable pair of Wittners branded Chelseas.

I also have a thing for $4 K-mart canvas shoes and casual ballet flats as they are handy for day-to-day wear though they're not the most comfortable things. Then there's a pair of $30 black wedges from Gianni that I'm in love with and works for anything from parties to interviews.

My favourite shoes are ugly on the inside and the outside. They are a humble pair of dirty old trainers that I have owned for over four years. They are lightweight, have good grip and the shoelaces have never untied themselves. They've passed the test of slippery indoor volleyball courts, muddy rivers, animal excretions, Hong Kong markets and two mountain climbs. Not bad right?

How do you like your shoes?

Comments

Popular Posts